I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

At the Gates of Death--Sept. 15, 2012



When I think of the gates of death,
God, the gates of deep darkness,
it seems I know nothing at all.

But when I turn to your word,
I find much to encourage
and strengthen me.

Your steadfast love endures;
you will not forsake the
work of your hands.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 104; 149; 138; 98
Job 38:1-17
Acts 15:22-35
John 11:45-54

Selected Verses
Ps. 138:8
The LORD will fulfill his purpose for me;
      your steadfast love, O LORD, endures forever.
      Do not forsake the work of your hands.

Job 38:17
"…Have the gates of death been revealed to you, or have you seen the gates of deep darkness? …" [The LORD to Job]

Acts 15:32

Judas and Silas, who were themselves prophets, said much to encourage and strengthen the believers.

John 11:49
But one of [the council members], Caiaphas, who was high priest that year, said to them, "You know nothing at all! …"

No comments:

Post a Comment