I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

The Courts of the Lord--Feb. 8, 2013


 Where are your courts, O Lord;
and how do we find them--
the courts that will make us,
heart and flesh, sing to you for joy?

Not for sale, your courts--riches will not buy them.
The waters there are for everyone who thirsts;
free food and drink, money not required.

Perhaps we find the way there by listening
for the voice of for your Son, the Beloved.

Perhaps we will know we are in your courts
when we have found peace and patience,
kindness and generosity,
faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.

Lectionary Readings

Ps. 84; 148; 25; 40
Isa. 55:1-13
Gal. 5:16-24
Mark 9:2-13

Selected Verses

Ps. 84:2
My soul longs, indeed it faints
          for the courts of the LORD;
my heart and my flesh sing for joy
          to the living God.

Isa. 55:1
Ho, everyone who thirsts,
          come to the waters;
and you that have no money,
          come, buy and eat!
Come, buy wine and milk
          without money and without price.

Gal. 5:22-23a
By contrast, the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.

Mark 9:7
Then a cloud overshadowed [Jesus and the three disciples], and from the cloud there came a voice, “This is my Son, the Beloved; listen to him!”

No comments:

Post a Comment