I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

We Seek Security--May 23, 2013


We seek protection, security, for ourselves and loved ones.
Lord Jesus, you sought no protection when told
that King Herod wanted to kill you.

But you give us hope in the living God,
the Savior of all people--
and our refuge.

Lectionary Readings

Ps. 97; 147:12-20; 16; 62
Ruth 3:1-18
1 Tim. 4:1-16
Luke 13:31-35

Selected Verses

Ps. 16:1
Protect me, O God, for in you I take refuge.

Ruth 3:1
Naomi her mother-in-law said to [Ruth], "My daughter, I need to seek some security for you, so that it may be well with you.  …"

1 Tim. 4:10
For to this end we toil and struggle, because we have our hope set on the living God, who is the Savior of all people, especially of those who believe.

Luke 13:31
At that very hour some Pharisees came and said to [Jesus], "Get away from here, for Herod wants to kill you."

No comments:

Post a Comment