I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

When We Endeavor to Deceive--Aug. 8, 2013

-->
 When Jesus was transfigured with Moses and Elijah,
Peter made pious chatter to cover up his terror.
Your response swept away this nonsense.

The exorcists tried to duplicate Paul's healing,
laying false claim to the name of Jesus.
The evil spirit was not deceived.

David used a messenger to convey to Joab
his satisfaction over Uriah's murder.
Eventually the plot collapsed.

God, when we endeavor to deceive,
redeem us, that we may walk
before you with integrity.

Lectionary Readings

Ps. 116; 147:12-20; 26; 130
2 Sam. 11:1-27
Acts 19:11-20
Mark 9:2-13

Selected Verses

Ps. 26:11
 But as for me, I walk in my integrity;  
          redeem me, and be gracious to me.

2 Sam. 11:25
David said to the messenger, "Thus you shall say to Joab, 'Do not let this matter [the death of Uriah and other soldiers] trouble you, for the sword devours now one and now another; press your attack on the city, and overthrow it.'  And encourage him."

Acts 19:13
Then some itinerant Jewish exorcists tried to use the name of the Lord Jesus over those who had evil spirits, saying, "I adjure you by the Jesus whom Paul proclaims."

Mark 9:5-6
Then Peter said to Jesus, "Rabbi, it is good for us to be here; let us make three dwellings, one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah."  He did not know what to say, for they were terrified.

No comments:

Post a Comment