I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

God's Praise Always in My Mouth--April 15, 2014


I stretched out my hands--
no one was there to comfort me;
yet I will bless my God at all times;
your praise shall be always in my mouth.
I was so utterly, unbearably crushed
that I despaired of life itself;
but at all times I will
bless you, God.

If I am asked,
by what authority
do I praise you when it
seems you have deserted me,
then I must reply, did Jesus come
from God, or was he of human origin?
O Jesus, let me ever trust in your authority!

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 34; 146; 25; 91
Lam. 1:17-22
2 Cor. 1:8-22
Mark 11:27-33

Selected Verses
Ps. 34:1
I will bless the LORD at all times;
          his praise shall continually be in my mouth. 

Lam. 1:17a
Zion stretches out her hands, but there is no one to comfort her…

2 Cor. 1:8
We do not want you to be unaware, brothers and sisters, of the affliction we experienced in Asia; for we were so utterly, unbearably crushed that we despaired of life itself.

Mark 11:29-30
Jesus said to [the chief priests, scribes, and elders], "I will ask you one question; answer me, and I will tell you by what authority I do these things.  Did the baptism of John come from heaven, or was it of human origin?  Answer me." 

1 comment: