I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

That the Haughty May Hear—Aug. 16, 2014

[From Aug. 18, 2012 archive] 

Though you are high, you regard the lowly; 
you heard the groaning of your people in Egypt 
and sent Moses to break the chains that bound them. 

Do you hear the millions of poor who are groaning today? 
For the gain of silver, they are bound into poverty; 
what makes the strength of silver so great? 

We believe you are still working today; 
cure us, we who are bound by indifference,  
so the haughty may hear the groans of the poor. 

Lectionary Readings 
Ps. 104; 149; 138; 98 
Judg. 16:1-14 
Acts 7:30-43 
John 5:1-18 

Selected Verses 
Ps. 138:6 
 For though the LORD is high, he regards the lowly;
          but the haughty he perceives from far away. 

Judg. 16:4 
The lords of the Philistines came to [Delilah] and said to her, "Coax him, and find out what makes his strength so great, and how we may overpower him, so that we may bind him in order to subdue him; and we will each give you eleven hundred pieces of silver.” 

Acts 7:34 
"…'…I have surely seen the mistreatment of my people who are in Egypt and have heard their groaning, and I have come down to rescue them.  Come now, I will send you to Egypt.'  …"  [Stephen, quoting words that God spoke to Moses] 

John 5:17 

But Jesus answered [his persecutors], "My Father is still working, and I also am working."

No comments:

Post a Comment