I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Your Truth, O Lord, Will Make Us Free--Sept. 1, 2014


With you, O Lord, are wisdom and strength;
all those who know your name put their trust in you,
for you have not forsaken those who seek you.
We have seen your grace, your counsel and understanding;
now keep us faithful to you, with steadfast devotion;
may we continue in your word, that we may know your truth,
and your truth will make us free.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 62; 145; 73; 9
Job 12:1-6, 13-25
Acts 11:19-30
John 8:21-32

Selected Verses
Ps. 9:10
And those who know your name put their trust in you,
          for you, O LORD, have not forsaken those who seek you.

Job 12:13
"With God are wisdom and strength; he has counsel and understanding.  …"  [Job]

Acts 11:23
When [Barnabas] came and saw the grace of God, he rejoiced, and he exhorted them all to remain faithful to the Lord with steadfast devotion…

John 8:31-32
Then Jesus said to the Jews who had believed in him, "If you continue in my word, you are truly my disciples; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."

No comments:

Post a Comment