I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

As Long as I Live, I Will Call on You--Oct. 30, 2014


You have inclined your ear to me, O God,
and I will call on you as long as I live.

Lord Jesus, your feet are on the mountains
to bring good tidings, to proclaim peace.

O Holy Spirit, in my hour of need
teach me what I ought to say.

Carry me away from evil,
and nourish me with your love.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 116; 147:12-20; 26; 130
Nahum 1:15-2:12
Rev. 12:7-17
Luke 11:53-12:12

Selected Verses
Ps. 116:2
Because [the LORD] inclined his ear to me,
          therefore I will call on him as long as I live. 

Nahum 1:15
Look!  On the mountains the feet of one
     who brings good tidings,
     who proclaims peace! 

Rev. 12:14
But the woman was given the two wings of the great eagle, so that she could fly from the serpent into the wilderness, to her place where she is nourished for a time, and times, and half a time.

Luke 12:11-12
"…When they bring you before the synagogues, the rulers, and the authorities, do not worry about how you are to defend yourselves or what you are to say; for the Holy Spirit will teach you at that very hour what you ought to say."  [Jesus to his disciples]

No comments:

Post a Comment