I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

For Companions in the Faith--Oct. 17, 2014


We thank you, dear God, for our companions
in the faith.  We take courage from them,
for when in great pain, they were wise
and presented themselves to you.

To you they acknowledged their sins--
they did not try to hide their transgressions--
and you forgave them.  Forgive us, too, when
we fail to listen to your Son, the Chosen.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 130; 148; 32; 139
Hosea 13:9-16
Acts 28:1-16
Luke 9:28-36

Selected Verses
Ps. 32:5
Then I acknowledged my sin to you,
          and I did not hide my iniquity;
I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the LORD,”
          and you forgave the guilt of my sin.  Selah

Hosea 13:13
The pangs of childbirth come for [Ephraim], but he is an unwise son; for at the proper time he does not present himself at the mouth of the womb.

Acts 28:15
The believers from [Rome], when they heard of us, came as far as the Forum of Appius and Three Taverns to meet us.  On seeing them, Paul thanked God and took courage.

Luke 9:34-35
While [Jesus] was saying this, a cloud came and overshadowed [Peter, John, and James]; and they were terrified as they entered the cloud.  Then from the cloud came a voice that said, "This is my Son, my Chosen; listen to him!"

No comments:

Post a Comment