I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Jesus and the Bread of Tears--Dec. 13, 2014


Lord Jesus, you were counted among the lawless,
and the bread you ate was the bread of tears,
and you had tears to drink in full measure.

You had the right to a far better life,
but the way you lived and died
was an example for us.

Help us walk in your way,
not in the way of those who
are full of  conspiracy theories,
or of those who live in fear and dread.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 90; 149; 80; 72
Isa. 8:1-15
2 Thess. 3:6-18
Luke 22:31-38

Selected Verses
Ps. 80:5
 You have fed [your people] with the bread of tears,
          and given them tears to drink in full measure. 

Isa. 8:11-12
For the LORD spoke thus to me while his hand was strong upon me, and warned me not to walk in the way of this people, saying: Do not call conspiracy all that this people calls conspiracy, and do not fear what it fears, or be in dread.

2 Thess. 3:9
This was not because we do not have that right [to eat bread without paying for it], but in order to give you an example to imitate. 

Luke 22:37
"…For I tell you, this scripture must be fulfilled in me, 'And he was counted among the lawless'; and indeed what is written about me is being fulfilled."  [Jesus to his disciples]

No comments:

Post a Comment