I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Make Your Home Among Us, O God--Dec. 20, 2014


Look favorably on us, O God;
take away our disgrace.
Make justice the line
and righteousness
the plummet.

Restore us;
let your face shine,
that we may be saved.
Dwell with us, be with us,
make your home among us,
that we may be your people.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 90; 149; 80; 72
Isa. 28:9-22
Rev. 20:11-21:8
Luke 1:5-25

Selected Verses
Ps. 80:3
Restore us, O God;
     let your face shine, that we may be saved.

Isa. 28:17a
And I will make justice the line,
     and righteousness the plummet…

Rev. 21:3
And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying,
     "See, the home of God is among mortals.
     He will dwell with them;
     they will be his peoples,
     and God himself will be with them…"

Luke 1:25
"This is what the Lord has done for me when he looked favorably on me and took away the disgrace I have endured among my people."  [Elizabeth]

No comments:

Post a Comment