I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Zealous, but for the Right Cause--Jan. 26, 2015

[From Jan. 22, 2007 archive]

Long ago you declared your mighty acts, and made them known;
but your people were unprepared when suddenly they came to pass.

Again your people languish; revive us, that we may rejoice in you.

Make us zealous to be in your presence, as persistent as Jairus;
but guard our zeal, lest like Saul it be for traditions, not for your kingdom.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 57; 145; 85; 47
Isa. 48:1-11
Gal. 1:1-17
Mark 5:21-43

Selected Verses
Psalm 85:6
Will you not revive us again,
            so that your people may rejoice in you?

Isaiah 48:3
The former things I declared long ago,
            they went out from my mouth and I made them known;
            then suddenly I did them and they came to pass.

Galatians 1:14
I advanced in Judaism beyond many among my people of the same age, for I was far more zealous for the traditions of my ancestors.

Mark 5:22-23a
Then one of the leaders of the synagogue named Jairus came and, when he saw [Jesus], fell at his feet and begged him repeatedly, “My little daughter is at the point of death.   

No comments:

Post a Comment