I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

I Seek Your Face--Feb. 26, 2015


I seek your face, O God;
do not hide your face from me.
I have been rebellious against you,
I have not benefited from your message--
I was not united with those who listened to it.
I have loved darkness rather than the light
that has come into the world.
Forgive me, Jesus.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 27; 147:12-20; 126; 102
Deut. 9:23-10:5
Heb. 4:1-10
John 3:16-21

Selected Verses
Ps. 27:8-9a
 “Come,” my heart says, “seek his face!”
          Your face, LORD, do I seek.
          Do not hide your face from me.

Deut. 9:24
You have been rebellious against the LORD as long as he has known you.

Heb. 4:2
For indeed the good news came to us just as to them; but the message they heard did not benefit them, because they were not united by faith with those who listened. 

John 3:19
And this is the judgment, that the light has come into the world, and people loved darkness rather than light because their deeds were evil. 

No comments:

Post a Comment