I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Obedience, Love, Worship, Commitment--Feb. 28, 2015

[From Feb. 23, 2013 archive]

Jesus, you learned obedience
through what you suffered;
teach me to be obedient.

Teach me to love my God,
to walk in God's ways,
to hold fast to God.

Show me how to worship you
as you seek all to worship,
in spirit and in truth.

You have redeemed me;
I commit my spirit
into your hand.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 43; 149; 31; 143
Deut. 11:18-28
Heb. 5:1-10
John 4:1-26

Selected Verses
Ps. 31:5
Into your hand I commit my spirit;
            you have redeemed me, O LORD, faithful God.

Deut. 11:22
If you will diligently observe this entire commandment that I am commanding you, loving the LORD your God, walking in all his ways, and holding fast to him…

Heb. 5:8
Although he was a Son, he learned obedience through what he suffered…

John 4:23
"…But the hour is coming, and is now here, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father seeks such as these to worship him.  …"  [Jesus to the Samaritan woman]

No comments:

Post a Comment