I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Near in My Mouth, far from My Heart--Mar. 30, 2015


Too often you are near in my mouth
yet far from my heart, O Christ.
I want to know you and the power
of your resurrection, but would this
mean becoming like you in your death?
Your disciples did not understand these things
at first--perhaps they did not want to understand.
I could empathize with them in that regard.
I pray that your steadfast love will
become my comfort and
my motivation.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 119:73-80; 145; 121; 6
Jer. 11:18-20; 12:1-17
Phil. 3:1-14
John 12:9-19

Selected Verses
Ps. 119:76
Let your steadfast love become my comfort
          according to your promise to your servant. 

Jer. 12:2
You plant them, and they take root;
          they grow and bring forth fruit;
you are near in their mouths
          yet far from their hearts.

Phil. 3:10
I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the sharing of his sufferings by becoming like him in his death…

John 12:16
His disciples did not understand these things at first; but when Jesus was glorified, then they remembered that these things had been written of him and had been done to him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment