I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Escape from the Power of Darkness--Apr. 27, 2015


Our Father, you rescue us from the power of darkness
and transfer us into the kingdom of your beloved Son,
in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.

You rescued me; I escaped like a bird from the snare,
for in my distress you broke the snare, and I escaped.
(But from his own accusers your Son did not escape.)

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 97; 145; 124; 115
Jer. 30:1-9
Col. 1:1-14
Luke 6:1-11

Selected Verses
Ps. 124:7
We have escaped like a bird
          from the snare of the fowlers;
the snare is broken,
          and we have escaped.

Jer. 30:7
Alas! that day is so great
          there is none like it;
it is a time of distress for Jacob;
          yet he shall be rescued from it. 

Col. 1:13
[The Father] has rescued us from the power of darkness and transferred us into the kingdom of his beloved Son, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.

Luke 6:7
The scribes and the Pharisees watched [Jesus] to see whether he would cure on the sabbath, so that they might find an accusation against him.

No comments:

Post a Comment