I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

While the Wicked Speak with Malice--July 6, 2015


The wicked scoff and speak with malice,
O God, setting their mouths against you,
with their tongues ranging over the earth.

Rebels against you, in stubborn patience
they wait to do evil, watch day and night
for a chance to murder your faithful ones.

Jesus showed a different way, obedience
even to death on a cross, surrender to you
in commending his spirit into your hands.

I too can be a rebel, at times scoff, even
speak with malice when my tongue runs
out of control. Make me more like Jesus.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 62; 145; 73; 9
1 Sam. 15:1-3, 7-23
Acts 9:19b-31
Luke 23:44-56a

Selected Verses
Ps. 73:8-9
[The wicked] scoff and speak with malice; 
          loftily they threaten oppression. 
They set their mouths against heaven, 
          and their tongues range over the earth.

1 Sam. 15:22b-23a
 Surely, to obey is better than sacrifice,
          and to heed than the fat of rams.
For rebellion is no less a sin than divination,
          and stubbornness is like iniquity and idolatry. 

Acts 9:24b-25
[The plotters] were watching the gates day and night so that they might kill [Saul]; but his disciples took him by night and let him down through an opening in the wall, lowering him in a basket.

Luke 23:46
Then Jesus, crying with a loud voice, said, “Father, into your hands I commend my spirit.”  Having said this, he breathed his last. 

No comments:

Post a Comment