I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Hearts Steadfast Like David's--Aug. 24, 2015

[From Aug. 26, 2013 archive]

The heart of David was steadfast;
he kept his promise to make Solomon king.
When you call us to act may our hearts be steadfast,
whether we must flee to hide in the mountains
or stand on our feet to serve and to testify.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 57; 145; 85; 47
1 Kings 1:1-31
Acts 26:1-23
Mark 13:14-27

Selected Verses
Ps. 57:7
  My heart is steadfast, O God,
          my heart is steadfast.

1 Kings 1:30
"…as I swore to you by the LORD, the God of Israel, 'Your son Solomon shall succeed me as king, and he shall sit on my throne in my place,' so will I do this day."  [King David to Bathsheba]

Acts 26:16
"'…But get up and stand on your feet; for I have appeared to you for this purpose, to appoint you to serve and testify to the things in which you have seen me and to those in which I will appear to you.  …'"  [Paul recounting to King Agrippa how Jesus spoke to him in a vision]

Mark 13:14
"But when you see the desolating sacrilege set up where it ought not to be (let the reader understand), then those in Judea must flee to the mountains…"  [Jesus to Peter, James, John, and Andrew]

No comments:

Post a Comment