I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

How Do We Find the Way?--Aug. 27, 2015

[From Aug. 29, 2013 archive]

Solomon knew how to identify the true mother;
Paul knew that if the sailors left the ship;
everyone else on board would die.

Jesus knew how to tell his disciples
where they could find a room for Passover.
But for us, discernment does not come so easily.

We will lift up our soul to you in the morning,
O God; let us hear of your steadfast love,
and teach us the way we should go,
for in you we will put our trust.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 143; 147:12-20; 81; 116
1 Kings 3:16-28
Acts 27:27-44
Mark 14:12-26

Selected Verses
Ps. 143:8
Let me hear of your steadfast love in the morning,
          for in you I put my trust.
Teach me the way I should go,
          for to you I lift up my soul.

1 Kings 3:27
Then the king responded: "Give the first woman the living boy; do not kill him. She is his mother."

Acts 27:31
Paul said to the centurion and the soldiers, "Unless these men stay in the ship, you cannot be saved."

Mark 14:13-14
So [Jesus] sent two of his disciples, saying to them, "Go into the city, and a man carrying a jar of water will meet you; follow him, and wherever he enters, say to the owner of the house, 'The Teacher asks, Where is my guest room where I may eat the Passover with my disciples?’…"

No comments:

Post a Comment