I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

No Argument Needed to Know You--Aug. 3, 2015


It is hard to let you be our God,
and for us to be your servants.
We want to order you around,
to tell you our plans for you;
we want to see a sign, some
tangible proof you are real.
Convince us with evidence.

You are our refuge, O God.
We pour out our hearts before you.  
Those who trust in you at all times
need no further convincing,
no sign to persuade us--
we know you and
your steadfast
love.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 62; 145; 73; 9
2 Sam. 7:1-17
Acts 18:1-11
Mark 8:11-21

Selected Verses
Ps. 62:8
Trust in him at all times, O people;
          pour out your heart before him;
          God is a refuge for us. Selah

2 Sam. 7:4-5
But that same night the word of the LORD came to Nathan: Go and tell my servant David: Thus says the LORD: Are you the one to build me a house to live in? 

Acts 18:4
Every sabbath [Paul] would argue in the synagogue and would try to convince Jews and Greeks.

Mark 8:12
And [Jesus] sighed deeply in his spirit and said, “Why does this generation ask for a sign?  Truly I tell you, no sign will be given to this generation.”

No comments:

Post a Comment