I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

She Did what She Could for Jesus--Aug. 26, 2015

[From Aug. 28, 2015  archive]

Lord Jesus, the woman who poured ointment
on your head did what she could for you.

When we encounter the brokenhearted,
help us do what we can for them.

When everyone has abandoned
all hope of being saved,

we ask you to help us
do what we can.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 65; 147:1-11; 125; 91
1 Kings 3:1-15
Acts 27:9-26
Mark 14:1-11

Selected Verses
Ps. 147:3
He heals the brokenhearted,
          and binds up their wounds.

1 Kings 3:5
At Gibeon the LORD appeared to Solomon in a dream by night; and God said, "Ask what I should give you."

Acts 27:20
When neither sun nor stars appeared for many days, and no small tempest raged, all hope of our being saved was at last abandoned.

Mark 14:8
"…[The woman who poured ointment on my head] has done what she could; she has anointed my body beforehand for its burial.  …"  [Jesus to those who criticized the woman]

No comments:

Post a Comment