I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Your Betrayer at Hand--Aug. 28, 2015

[From Aug. 30, 2013 archive]

Sometimes we are pleased to arrive at our destination;
perhaps we even find there rest on every side,
free from adversaries and misfortune.

But you, Jesus, found yourself in the depths of the Pit,
in regions dark and deep, your betrayer at hand,
and no one to stand by and comfort you.

Forgive us when we fail to watch those in need,
when instead we sleep and take our rest,
leaving them to suffer all alone.


Lectionary Readings
Ps. 88; 148; 6; 20
1 Kings 5:1-6:1, 7
Acts 28:1-16
Mark 14:27-42

Selected Verses
Ps. 88:6
You have put me in the depths of the Pit,
          in the regions dark and deep.

1 Kings 5:4
"…But now the LORD my God has given me rest on every side; there is neither adversary nor misfortune. …"  [Solomon to King Hiram]

Acts 28:14b
And so we [Paul and companion(s)] came to Rome.

Mark 14:41-42
[Jesus] came a third time and said to [Peter, James, and John], "Are you still sleeping and taking your rest?  Enough!  The hour has come; the Son of Man is betrayed into the hands of sinners.  Get up, let us be going.  See, my betrayer is at hand."

No comments:

Post a Comment