I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Joy in a Dry and Weary Land--Nov. 21, 2015

[From Nov. 19, 2011 archive]

The land is dry and weary, and we are thirsty and tired;
but you invite us to come, take the water of life as a gift--
everyone who hears, come, and everyone who is thirsty.

And you tell us not to grieve, for your joy is our strength.
And we must have mercy on a fellow slave (who also is
in a dry and weary land), as you have had mercy on us.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 122; 149; 100; 63
Neh. 7:73b-8:3, 5-18
Rev. 22:14-21
Matt. 18:21-35

Selected Verses
Ps. 63:1
O God, you are my God, I seek you,
          my soul thirsts for you;
my flesh faints for you,
          as in a dry and weary land where there is no water.

Neh. 8:10b
"…and do not be grieved, for the joy of the LORD is your strength."  [Nehemiah to the people who had wept when they heard the law]

Rev. 22:17
The Spirit and the bride say, “Come.”
     And let everyone who hears say, “Come.”
     And let everyone who is thirsty come.
     Let anyone who wishes take the water of life as a gift.

Matt. 18:33
"'…Should you not have had mercy on your fellow slave, as I had mercy on you?’  …"
[In Jesus' parable about forgiveness, the king to a slave who owed him ten thousand talents]

No comments:

Post a Comment