I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.
Guard Our Hearts and Minds--Feb. 12, 2016

Lord Jesus, you do not despise or abhor
the affliction of the afflicted--
hear us when we cry to you.

Cast away from us all the transgressions
we have committed against you;
give us a new heart, new spirit.

Your peace surpasses all understanding;
as you send us into the world,
even as God sent you there,
guard our hearts and minds.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 22; 148; 105; 130
Ezek. 18:1-4, 25-32
Phil. 4:1-9
John 17:9-19

Selected Verses
Ps. 22:24
For he did not despise or abhor
          the affliction of the afflicted;
he did not hide his face from me,
          but heard when I cried to him.

Ezek. 18:31a
Cast away from you all the transgressions that you have committed against me, and get yourselves a new heart and a new spirit! 

Phil. 4:7
And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

John 17:18
"…As you have sent me into the world, so I have sent them into the world.  …"  [Jesus' prayer for his disciples]

No comments:

Post a Comment