I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

When my Flesh Faints for You--Feb. 6, 2016


I search for you, O God.  Tell me,
shall I turn to the right hand or to the left?
Do you hide where I cannot come?
Tell me, for I am in a dry and weary land.

You answer that I should make
straight paths for my feet, so that what
is lame may not be out of joint,
but rather be healed.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 63; 149; 125; 90
Gen. 24:28-38; 49-51
Heb. 12:12-29
John 7:14-36

Selected Verses
Ps. 63:1
O God, you are my God, I seek you,
          my soul thirsts for you;
my flesh faints for you,
          as in a dry and weary land where there is no water. 

Gen. 24:49
"Now then, if you will deal loyally and truly with my master, tell me; and if not, tell me, so that I may turn either to the right hand or to the left."  [Abraham's servant to Laban]

Heb. 12:13
…and make straight paths for your feet, so that what is lame may not be put out of joint, but rather be healed.

John 7:36
"…What does [Jesus] mean by saying, 'You will search for me and you will not find me' and 'Where I am, you cannot come'?"  [The Pharisees to one another]

No comments:

Post a Comment