I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

When our Bones Shake with Terror--Feb. 29, 2016


O Lord Jesus, we languish--
our bones even shake with terror--
when we feel our world is passing away,
or we fear to see the suffering of a loved one.
Your response is simple: do not fear, only believe.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 119:73-80; 145; 121; 6
Gen. 44:18-34
1 Cor. 7:25-31
Mark 5:21-43

Selected Verses
Ps. 6:2
 Be gracious to me, O LORD, for I am languishing;
          O LORD, heal me, for my bones are shaking with terror. 

Gen. 44:34
"…For how can I go back to my father if the boy is not with me?  I fear to see the suffering that would come upon my father."  [Judah to Joseph]

1 Cor. 7:31b
For the present form of this world is passing away.

Mark 5:36
But overhearing what [the people from the father's house] said, Jesus said to the leader of the synagogue, "Do not fear, only believe." 

No comments:

Post a Comment