I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

A Heart Like a Child's--March 16, 2016

[From March 24, 2010 archive]

I sigh to think how my heart hardens like Pharaoh’s
and how I commend myself, again and again.

O God, soften my heart to receive your kingdom;
give heed to my sighs for a heart like a child’s.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 5; 147:1-11; 27; 51
Exod. 7:8-24
2 Cor. 2:14-3:6
Mark 10:1-16

Selected Verses
Ps. 5:1
Give ear to my words, O LORD;
            give heed to my sighing.

Exod. 7:13
Still Pharaoh’s heart was hardened, and he would not listen to them, as the LORD had said.

2 Cor. 3:1a
Are we beginning to commend ourselves again?

Mark 10:15
“…Truly I tell you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will never enter it.”  [Jesus to his disciples]

No comments:

Post a Comment