I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

For War Victims--March 22, 2016

[From April 3, 2012 archive] 

Some would say, O God, you authorize war--
even claim its violence comes from you.

I believe wars are of human origin, but well
you know how the innocent are afflicted.

Many war victims are so utterly, unbearably
crushed that they despair of life itself.

Stretch out your hand, I pray, to these victims--
especially ones who have no other comfort.

In your compassion, be near the brokenhearted;
in your mercy, save the crushed in spirit.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 34; 146; 25; 91
Lam. 1:17-22
2 Cor. 1:8-22
Mark 11:27-33

Selected Verses
Ps. 34:18
The LORD is near to the brokenhearted,
          and saves the crushed in spirit.

Lam. 1:17a
Zion stretches out her hands, but there is no one to comfort her…

2 Cor. 1:8
We do not want you to be unaware, brothers and sisters, of the affliction we experienced in Asia; for we were so utterly, unbearably crushed that we despaired of life itself.

Mark 11:30
 "…Did the baptism of John come from heaven, or was it of human origin?  Answer me."  [Jesus to those who questioned his authority]

No comments:

Post a Comment