I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Sacrifice, Belief, or Labor?--Apr. 1, 2016

[From Apr. 13, 2012 archive]

How shall we praise you?
By sacrificing our firstborn?
By believing the unbelievable?
Or by remaining steadfast and
immoveable, excelling in
our work for you?

None alone seems adequate--
not sacrifice, not belief,
not untiring labor.
Yet if truly we praise you,
will not what matters follow?

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 96; 148; 49; 138
Exod. 13:1-2, 11-16
1 Cor. 15:51-58
Luke 24:1-12

Selected Verses
Ps. 148:1
Praise the LORD!
Praise the LORD from the heavens;
          praise him in the heights!

Exod. 13:15b
"'…Therefore I sacrifice to the LORD every male that first opens the womb, but every firstborn of my sons I redeem.'  …"  [Moses telling the people how to answer their children]

1 Cor. 15:58
Therefore, my beloved, be steadfast, immovable, always excelling in the work of the Lord, because you know that in the Lord your labor is not in vain.

Luke 24:11
But these words [from the women who saw the empty tomb] seemed to [the apostles] an idle tale, and they did not believe them.

No comments:

Post a Comment