I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.
What Attracts Us to You, Jesus?--Apr. 16, 2016

Lord Jesus, you called, and immediately they followed.
I wonder what it was that attracted them to you;
what was in their hearts that made them
want to offer themselves to you?

Was it that you made them glad
by your works?  Or that your
peace ruled in their hearts?
And what most attracts me?

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 92; 149; 23; 114
Exod. 25:1-22
Col. 3:1-17
Matt. 4:18-25

Selected Verses
Ps. 92:4
For you, O LORD, have made me glad by your work;
          at the works of your hands I sing for joy.

Exod. 25:2
Tell the Israelites to take for me an offering; from all whose hearts prompt them to give you shall receive the offering for me. 

Col. 3:15
And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in the one body.  And be thankful. 

Matt. 4:21-22
As [Jesus] went from [calling Simon and Andrew], he saw two other brothers, James son of Zebedee and his brother John, in the boat with their father Zebedee, mending their nets, and he called them.  Immediately they left the boat and their father, and followed him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment