I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

From the Snare of the Fowlers--May 2, 2016


O Lord our God, we have escaped
like a bird from the snare of the fowlers;
the snare is broken, and we have escaped.
You have brought us out from the land
of Egypt, and we are your servants.

Make us good soil for the seeds
you sow, so that we may bring forth
grain, leading lives worthy of Jesus,
fully pleasing to you, as we bear
fruit in every good work and
grow in the knowledge of you.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 97; 145; 124; 115
Lev. 25:35-55
Col. 1:9-14
Matt. 13:1-16
       
Selected Verses
Ps. 124:7
We have escaped like a bird
          from the snare of the fowlers;
the snare is broken,
          and we have escaped.

Lev. 25:55
For to me the people of Israel are servants; they are my servants whom I brought out from the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.

Col. 1:10
…so that you may lead lives worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, as you bear fruit in every good work and as you grow in the knowledge of God.

Matt. 13:8
“…Other seeds fell on good soil and brought forth grain, some a hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.  …”  [Jesus to the crowds gathered around his boat]

No comments:

Post a Comment