I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Ministry Open and Welcoming to All--May 9, 2016


Lord Jesus, you did not limit your ministry
to your compatriots; the faith of an officer of
the hated occupation army amazed you—
and you healed his servant.

Teach us to follow your example,
lest we focus our ministry
solely on people like ourselves,
thereby denying others access to God.

Be with us wherever we go;
make us strong and courageous as
with boldness and confidence we speak
your praise to all people, blessing
your holy name.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 97; 145; 124; 115
Josh. 1:1-9
Eph. 3:1-13
Matt. 8:5-17
       
Selected Verses
Ps. 145:21
My mouth will speak the praise of the LORD,
          and all flesh will bless his holy name forever and ever.

Josh. 1:9
“…I hereby command you: Be strong and courageous; do not be frightened or dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.”

Eph. 3:11
This was in accordance with the eternal purpose that he has carried out in Christ Jesus our Lord, in whom we have access to God in boldness and confidence through faith in him. 

Matt. 8:10, 13
When Jesus heard [the centurion], he was amazed and said to those who followed him, “Truly I tell you, in no one in Israel have I found such faith. …” And to the centurion Jesus said, “Go; let it be done for you according to your faith.”  And the servant was healed in that hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment