I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Wisdom in Our Secret Heart--May 20, 2016


Lord Jesus, you walked in the way
of righteousness, along the paths of justice;  
teach us wisdom in our secret heart, we pray.
Teach us what it means to desire mercy,
not sacrifce; fill our hearts with
love, that we may walk in
your commandments.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 51; 148; 142; 65
Prov. 8:1-21
2 John 1-13
Matt. 12:1-14
       
Selected Verses
Ps. 51:6
You desire truth in the inward being;
          therefore teach me wisdom in my secret heart. 

Prov. 8:20
"…I walk in the way of righteousness,
            along the paths of justice  …"
[The voice of wisdom calling to the people]

2 John 6
And this is love, that we walk according to his commandments; this is the commandment just as you have heard it from the beginning — you must walk in it.

Matt. 12:7
"…But if you had known what this means, 'I desire mercy and not sacrifice,' you would not have condemned the guiltless.  …"  [Jesus to those who criticized his disciples for plucking grain on the Sabbath] 

No comments:

Post a Comment