I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Like Chaff that the Wind Drives Away--June 15, 2016

Lord Jesus, only you know how often it is
that I am more like chaff the wind blows away
than I am like trees planted by streams of water.

How I am jealous for my own sake or for others,
how I judge others, or want to be greatest,
all the while like a stranger to you.
Lord, put your Spirit in me.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 89:1-18; 147:1-11; 1; 33
Num. 11:24-35
Rom. 1:28-2:11
Matt. 18:1-9
       
Selected Verses
Ps. 89:4
The wicked are not [like trees planted by streams of water],
          but are like chaff that the wind drives away. 

Num. 11:29
But Moses said to him, "Are you jealous for my sake?  Would that all the Lord's people were prophets, and that the LORD would put his spirit on them!" 

Rom. 2:1
Therefore you have no excuse, whoever you are, when you judge others; for in passing judgment on another you condemn yourself, because you, the judge, are doing the very same things.

Matt. 18:1
At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, "Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?"

No comments:

Post a Comment