I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Retreat of the Sins that Bind Us--June 25, 2016

[From June 30, 2012 & July 1, 2000 archives]

The sins that bind and oppress--hatred,
selfishness, jealousy, pride, vindictiveness--
all enemies shall retreat in the day we call to you.

To us it was a hard thing, when Aaron was dying,
to strip him of his vestments and put them on his son;
but it was thought a father can die, yet live on in his son.

Much more crucially, because you are for us
we can die to our old life, and yet live in your Son.
Blessed is the one who came in your name.  Hosanna!

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 56; 149; 118; 111
Num. 20:14-29
Rom. 6:1-11
Matt. 21:1-11

Selected Verses
Ps. 56:9
Then my enemies will retreat
          in the day when I call.
          This I know, that God is for me.

Num. 20:28a
Moses stripped Aaron of his vestments, and put them on his son Eleazar; and Aaron died there on the top of the mountain.

Rom. 6:8
But if we have died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him.

Matt. 21:9
The crowds that went ahead of [Jesus] and that followed were shouting, "Hosanna to the Son of David!  Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the Lord!  Hosanna in the highest heaven!"

No comments:

Post a Comment