I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Set Free for Freedom--June 8, 2016

[From June 9, 2010 archive]

You have set us free, Christ Jesus, for freedom.  Too often
we do not know how to interpret the signs of our freedom.

We suppose we are free to plot our own destiny, only
to learn like a fish taken in a net, or a bird caught in a
snare, that no one can anticipate the time of disaster.
Then we find ourselves again under slavery’s yoke.

I will not get into my bed;
I will not give sleep to my eyes
or slumber to my eyelids,
until I find a dwelling place
for you in my heart.
Then I will be free.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 96; 147:1-11; 132; 134
Eccl. 9:11-18
Gal. 5:1-15
Matt. 16:1-12
       
Selected Verses
Ps. 132:3-5
“I will not enter my house
            or get into my bed;
I will not give sleep to my eyes
            or slumber to my eyelids,
until I find a place for the LORD,
            a dwelling-place for the Mighty One of Jacob.”
[quoting David’s vow]

Eccl. 9:12
For no one can anticipate the time of disaster.  Like fish taken in a cruel net, and like birds caught in a snare, so mortals are snared at a time of calamity, when it suddenly falls upon them.

Gal. 5:1
For freedom Christ has set us free.  Stand firm, therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery.

Matt. 16:3b
“…You know how to interpret the appearance of the sky, but you cannot interpret the signs of the times.      [Jesus to the Pharisees and Sadducees]

No comments:

Post a Comment