I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

From You, Through You, To You--July 13, 2016


Holy God, lover of righteousness and justice,
from you and through you and to you
are all things.  You do wonders among us--
the earth is full of your steadfast love.
You want us to join in showing love to others:
food to the hungry, drink to the thirsty;
welcome to the stranger; clothes to the naked;
visits to the sick and to those in prison.
To you be the glory forever.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 89:1-18; 147:1-11; 1; 33
Josh. 3:1-13
Rom. 11:25-36
Matt. 25:31-46
           
Selected Verses
Ps. 33:5
[The LORD] loves righteousness and justice;
          the earth is full of the steadfast love of the LORD.

Josh. 3:5
Then Joshua said to the people, "Sanctify yourselves; for tomorrow the LORD will do wonders among you." 

Rom. 11:36
For from [the Lord] and through him and to him are all things.  To him be the glory forever.  Amen.

Matt. 25:35-36
"…'for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.'  …"  [In Jesus' parable, the king to the ones at his right hand]

No comments:

Post a Comment