I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Where to Put Our Trust?--July 23, 2016


Neither Paul nor Jesus
put their confidence in mortals;
they put their trust in you, dear God.
They were not able to rest from all their
enemies, nor did they live to be old
and well advanced in years;
but who can doubt their
ministries were
acceptable
to you?

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 56; 149; 118; 111
Josh. 23:1-16
Rom. 15:25-33
Matt. 27:11-23
           
Selected Verses
Ps. 118:8
 It is better to take refuge in the LORD
          than to put confidence in mortals. 

Josh. 23:1
A long time afterward, when the LORD had given rest to Israel from all their enemies all around, and Joshua was old and well advanced in years…

Rom. 15:30
I appeal to you, brothers and sisters, by our Lord Jesus Christ and by the love of the Spirit, to join me in earnest prayer to God on my behalf, that I may be rescued from the unbelievers in Judea, and that my ministry to Jerusalem may be acceptable to the saints…

Matt. 27:23
Then [Pilate] asked, "Why, what evil has he done?"  But [the crowds] shouted all the more, "Let him be crucified!"

No comments:

Post a Comment