I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Who Are We, to Hinder God?--Aug. 27, 2016


You are God, and we are not.
You have made us, and we are yours--
your people, the sheep of your pasture.
All this should be a great comfort to us,
but instead it can be a great challenge.
Who wants to be fashioned like clay,
destined for dust?  Lord, remind us:
we do not know what you know.
Teach us to accept who you are
and who we are, lest we
hinder you in
loving us.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 122; 149; 100; 63
Job 9:1, 10:1-9, 16-22
Acts 11:1-18
John 8:12-20
           
Selected Verses
Ps. 100:3
Know that the LORD is God.
          It is he that made us, and we are his;
          we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.

Job 10:9
"Remember that you fashioned me like clay; and will you turn me to dust again?  …"  [Job, lamenting to God]

Acts 11:17
"…If then God gave [the Gentiles] the same gift that he gave us when we believed in the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I that I could hinder God?"  [Peter to the apostles and believers in Judea]

John 8:14
Jesus answered [the Pharisees], "Even if I testify on my own behalf, my testimony is valid because I know where I have come from and where I am going, but you do not know where I come from or where I am going.  …"

No comments:

Post a Comment