I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

I Will Sing to My God--Sept. 10, 2016


While I have being, I will sing to my God;
I will sing to you, Jesus, as long as I live.
What is my understanding, next to yours?
Compared to you, how little I know.
I have seen what you have done,
may I always remember.
Then may I go in peace,
rejoicing in your name.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 104; 149; 138; 98
Job 38:1-17
Acts 15:22-35
John 11:45-54
           
Selected Verses
Ps. 104:33-34
I will sing to the LORD as long as I live;
          I will sing praise to my God while I have being.
May my meditation be pleasing to him,
          for I rejoice in the LORD. 

Job 38:4
"Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth?  Tell me, if you have understanding.  …"  [The LORD to Jonah]

Acts 15:33
After they had been [in Antioch] for some time, [Judas Barsabbas and Silas] were sent off in peace by the believers to those who had sent them. 

John 11:45
Many of the Jews therefore, who had come with Mary and had seen what Jesus did, believed in him.

No comments:

Post a Comment