I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Prosper the Work of Our Hands--Sept. 3, 2016


Lord Jesus Christ, it is through you
that forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to us.
But not to us only--you have other sheep
in other folds, who will listen to your voice.
Sometimes we wonder what we can do
in return for your goodness to us.  How can
we serve you, who have done so much
for us?  O Jesus, is it not by serving others?
May your favor rest upon our service,
and may you prosper the work of our hands,
not for our glory, but for yours.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 63; 149; 125; 90
Job 22:1-4, 22:21-23:7
Acts 13:26-43
John 10:1-18
           
Selected Verses
Ps. 90:17
Let the favor of the Lord our God be upon us,
          and prosper for us the work of our hands--
          O prosper the work of our hands!

Job 22:1-2
Then Eliphaz the Temanite answered [Job]:  "Can a mortal be of use to God?  Can even the wisest be of service to him?  …"

Acts 13:38
"…Let it be known to you therefore, my brothers, that through this man forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you…"  [Paul to the synagogue in Antioch]

John 10:16
"…I have other sheep that do not belong to this fold.  I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice.  So there will be one flock, one shepherd.  …"  [Jesus to the Pharisees]

No comments:

Post a Comment