I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Cords of Kindness, Bands of Love--Oct. 9, 2016


In distress we have knelt to ask your help,
and you have rescued us, dear God.
You have answered us, tested us, and have
admonished us--not to shame us,
but to make us realize we are your beloved.
Without our knowing, you taught us,
healed us, and led us with cords of kindness
and bands of love. We thank you, God.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 19; 150; 81; 113
Hosea 11:1-11
1 Cor. 4:9-16
Matt. 15:21-28
           
Selected Verses
Ps. 81:7
In distress you called, and I rescued you;
          I answered you in the secret place of thunder;
          I tested you at the waters of Meribah. Selah 

Hosea 11:3-4a
Yet it was I who taught Ephraim to walk, I took them up in my arms; but they did not know that I healed them.  I led them with cords of human kindness, with bands of love. I was to them like those who lift infants to their cheeks.  I bent down to them and fed them.

1 Cor. 4:14
I am not writing this to make you ashamed, but to admonish you as my beloved children.

Matt. 15:24-25
[Jesus] answered, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel."  But [the Canaanite woman] came and knelt before him, saying, "Lord, help me." 

No comments:

Post a Comment