I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

They Are Waiting, Jesus--Oct. 11, 2016


Jesus, they are waiting for you--the oppressed, those
who have suffered false balances, the
scorn of those at ease, and the contempt of the proud.
  Jesus, can we help remove their chains?

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 123; 146; 30; 86
Hosea 12:2-14
Acts 26:24-27:8
Luke 8:40-56
           
Selected Verses
Ps. 123:4
Our soul has had more than its fill
          of the scorn of those who are at ease,
          of the contempt of the proud.

Hosea 12:7-8
A trader, in whose hands are false balances, he loves to oppress.  Ephraim has said, "Ah, I am rich, I have gained wealth for myself; in all of my gain no offense has been found in me that would be sin." 

Acts 26:29
Paul replied [to King Agrippa], "Whether quickly or not, I pray to God that not only you but also all who are listening to me today might become such as I am--except for these chains."

Luke 8:40
Now when Jesus returned, the crowd welcomed him, for they were all waiting for him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment