I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

What Does It Profit Us?--Oct. 13, 2016


How precious is your steadfast love, O God!
All people may take refuge in the shadow of your wings.
We know no God but you; besides you there is no savior.
When we fear we may run on the rocks, teach us
to let down our anchors and find you.
What does it profit us if we gain
the whole world, but lose
or forfeit ourselves?

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 36; 147:12-20; 80; 27
Hosea 13:4-8
Acts 27:27-44
Luke 9:18-27
           
Selected Verses
Ps. 36:7
How precious is your steadfast love, O God!
          All people may take refuge in the shadow of your wings. 

Hosea 13:4
Yet I have been the LORD your God ever since the land of Egypt; you know no God but me, and besides me there is no savior.

Acts 27:29
Fearing that we might run on the rocks, they let down four anchors from the stern and prayed for day to come.

Luke 9:25
What does it profit them if they gain the whole world, but lose or forfeit themselves?

No comments:

Post a Comment