I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Make Us Hearers Who Persevere--Nov. 11, 2016

[From Nov. 14, 2014 archive]

Out of the depths we cry to you, O God;
hear our voice, for we call upon your name.

You have given this good earth for our care,
a gift we have squandered and despoiled.

We have heard your voice, to care for it,
but we have been hearers who forget.

Make us be hearers who persevere
with appropriate actions.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 130; 148; 32; 139
Joel 2:28-3:8
James 1:16-27
Luke 16:1-9

Selected Verses
Ps. 130:1-2
Out of the depths I cry to you, O LORD. 
       Lord, hear my voice!
Let your ears be attentive
       to the voice of my supplications!

Joel 2:32
Then everyone who calls on the name of the LORD shall be saved; for in Mount Zion and in Jerusalem there shall be those who escape, as the LORD has said, and among the survivors shall be those whom the LORD calls.

James 1:25
But those who look into the perfect law, the law of liberty, and persevere, being not hearers who forget but doers who act--they will be blessed in their doing.

Luke 16:1
Then Jesus said to the disciples, "There was a rich man who had a manager, and charges were brought to him that this man was squandering his property. …"

No comments:

Post a Comment