I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

Shout Welcome!--Nov. 25, 2016

[From Nov. 30, 2012 archive]

Shout, stony heart of mine, shout--
shout out welcome, welcome, welcome!

Welcome in, King over all the earth;
welcome to all as I have been welcomed.

Better than a thousand elsewhere
is one day in your courts.

For the glory of God,
we are welcome.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 84; 148; 25; 40
Zech. 14:1-11
Rom. 15:7-13
Luke 19:28-40

Selected Verses
Ps. 84:10a
For a day in your courts is better
          than a thousand elsewhere.

Zech. 14:9a
And the LORD will become king over all the earth…

Rom. 15:7
Welcome one another, therefore, just as Christ has welcomed you, for the glory of God.

Luke 19:40
[Jesus] answered, "I tell you, if these were silent, the stones would shout out."

No comments:

Post a Comment