I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

In the Day of Trouble--Dec. 7, 2016


In the day of trouble, O God, we call on you.
Take away our sin, and blot out our guilt;
make us worthy of your call, and by
your power fulfill every good resolve
and work of faith, so that the name of
our Lord Jesus may be glorified in us,
and us in him, according to your grace.
Then send us on our way, forgiven and
endeavoring not to sin again.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 50; 147:1-11; 53; 17
Isa. 6:1-13
2 Thess. 1:1-12
John 7:53-8:11
           
Selected Verses
Ps. 50:15
"…Call on me in the day of trouble;
I will deliver you, and you shall glorify me."
[God to God's people]

Isa. 6:7
The seraph touched my mouth with [a live coal] and said: "Now that this has touched your lips, your guilt has departed and your sin is blotted out." 

2 Thess. 1:11-12
To this end we always pray for you, asking that our God will make you worthy of his call and will fulfill by his power every good resolve and work of faith, so that the name of our Lord Jesus may be glorified in you, and you in him, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ.

John 8:11
[The woman caught in adultery] said, "No one, sir." And Jesus said, "Neither do I condemn you.  Go your way, and from now on do not sin again."

No comments:

Post a Comment