I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

The Joy of Salvation--Dec. 29, 2016


You are the Alpha and the Omega, the Almighty,
the one who is and who was and who is to come.
You invite all who are thirsty to come and drink.
In your righteousness, Lord God, we find our joy;
with joy we draw water from the wells of salvation.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 96; 147:12-20; 132; 97
Isa.  12:1-6
Rev. 1:1-8
John 7:37-52

Selected Verses
Ps. 97:11
Light dawns for the righteous,
          and joy for the upright in heart. 

Isa.  12:3a
With joy you will draw water from the wells of salvation. 

Rev. 1:8
“I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.

John 7:37-38a
On the last day of the festival, the great day, while Jesus was standing there, he cried out, “Let anyone who is thirsty come to me, and let the one who believes in me drink.  …"

No comments:

Post a Comment