I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

God Will Carry and Will Save--Jan. 21, 2017


God of Mercy, may your steadfast love last forever.
You have borne us from our birth, carried us from the womb--
carried us, O God, even when we turned gray;
you have made, and you will bear,
you will carry and will save.

Therefore, we will stand, a belt of truth around our waist,
and we will put on the breastplate of righteousness;
as shoes we will wear whatever makes us ready
to proclaim your gospel of peace, and we'll
tell how much Jesus has done for us,
and of the mercy he has shown,
and at all times in the Spirit

we will pray.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 56; 149; 118; 111
Isa. 46:1-13
Eph. 6:10-24
Mark 5:1-20

Selected Verses
 Ps. 118:4
Let those who fear the LORD say,
          “His steadfast love endures forever.”

Isa. 46:3-4
Listen to me, O house of Jacob,
          all the remnant of the house of Israel,
who have been borne by me from your birth,
          carried from the womb;
even to your old age I am he,
          even when you turn gray I will carry you.
I have made, and I will bear;
          I will carry and will save.

Eph. 6:14, 18a
Stand therefore, and fasten the belt of truth around your waist, and put on the breastplate of righteousness.  As shoes for your feet put on whatever will make you ready to proclaim the gospel of peace.  …Pray in the Spirit at all times in every prayer and supplication.
 
Mark 5:19-20
But Jesus refused, and said to him, “Go home to your friends, and tell them how much the Lord has done for you, and what mercy he has shown you.”  And he went away and began to proclaim in the Decapolis how much Jesus had done for him; and everyone was amazed.

No comments:

Post a Comment