I am an emeritus professor from Cornell University and was a Commissioned Lay Preacher in the Presbyterian Church (USA). For many years I have followed the Daily Lectionary as printed in the Mission Yearbook of my church. For each day of a two-year cycle, the lectionary lists four psalms and three other scriptural passages--usually one from the Old Testament and two from the New Testament. My practice is to copy down a verse or two from one of the psalms and from each of the other three passages. After I have written out all four selections, I reflect upon them, rearrange their order, and incorporate them into a meditation. Sometimes I retain much of the original wording; sometimes all that remains of a selection is an idea that was stimulated when I read the original words. All selections are from the New Revised Standard Version of the Bible. For the Daily Lectionary, see the link below.

You Worked Through Peter and Paul--Jan. 24, 2017


God our Redeemer, Holy One of Israel,
you are our strength and our shield,
in you our heart trusts and exults;
to you we sing a song of thanks.
You teach us for our own good;
lead us in the way we should go.

You worked through Peter and Paul;
you worked through Jesus, who astounded
those who heard him with his wisdom and power.
Pray work through us--make us wise enough to seek
your will, strong enough to carry it out, and humble
enough to give you the glory.

Lectionary Readings
Ps. 54; 146; 28; 99
Isa. 48:12-22
Gal. 1:18-2:10
Mark 6:1-13

Selected Verses
Ps. 28:7
The LORD is my strength and my shield;
          in him my heart trusts;
so I am helped, and my heart exults,
          and with my song I give thanks to him.

Isa. 48:17
Thus says the LORD,
          your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel:
I am the LORD your God,
          who teaches you for your own good,
          who leads you in the way you should go. 

Gal. 2:8
…(for he who worked through Peter making him an apostle to the circumcised also worked through me in sending me to the Gentiles)… 

Mark 6:2
On the sabbath [Jesus] began to teach in the synagogue, and many who heard him were astounded.  They said, "Where did this man get all this?  What is this wisdom that has been given to him?  What deeds of power are being done by his hands!  …" 

No comments:

Post a Comment